Colin, Brandi, Dylan, Joshua, Peter and Sweet Baby Girl
So tonight we are having something new!  I love trying new foods and my family is getting better at it.  :)  In my CSA box this week, we got sorrel.  I've never even seen sorrel and I doubt I've ever heard of it, either so I started googling.  I love google.

According to the JR Organics website- the farm I get my CSA from- sorrel "resembles spinach in shape,  ranging in color from pale to dark green and in length from 2 to 12 inches (5 to 30.5cm). It has a refreshing, slightly lemony taste and has grown wild for centuries throughout Asia, Europe, and North America. It’s frequently used in French cooking."  They also say that sorrel is an excellent source of vitamins A, C, and B9, provitamins and iron and a good source of magnesium and calcium. 


So that sounds like a basic leafy green to me, according to the nutritional content.  I added some to the salad I made last night but I can't tell you what it tasted like since I can't taste anything with this cold but Colin didn't seem to notice so it must not be that strongly flavored.


In searching for recipes, I found a lot of sorrel soup recipes but I just don't think Colin would eat it, no matter how intriguing it looked to me.  I'll have to save that one for lunch sometime.  Colin also doesn't like quiche too much but I gave him fair warning and he gave me approval so I hope he enjoys it.  Most of the recipes I found seemed kinda bland with just sorrel and goat cheese.  Then I stumbled across a recipe somewhere in my search that had caramelized onions in it.  Now we are speaking my husband's language.  He loves anything with caramelized onions in it.  I've also seem beautiful pictures of quiche with a potato crust that looked so pretty I wanted to reach into the screen and have a nibble.  So instead of busting out my mom's trusty, practically indestructible oil pie crust recipe, I decided to try a potato crust instead, esp since I wouldn't have to climb into the nether regions of the cabinets, 6 months pregnant, to get the flour down.  I'm not sure why we keep it up there since we use flour almost every day.


So here's the recipe or process or whatever.


Caramelized Onion, Sorrel and Goat Cheese Quiche with Potato Crust
3-4 potatoes, sliced thin (I would do mine thinner next time) and steamed until soft and tender but not falling apart.
1 onion
a large spoonful of brown sugar
butter
1 large bunch of sorrel or 2 smaller. It wilts like spinach so be prepared with more than you think is necessary. If you can't find sorrel, use spinach.
goat cheese
5 eggs
3 generous tablespoons of flour
1 2/3 c milk or unsweetened soy milk (I used the soy)
1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
salt and pepper to taste
oil to grease the pan



First, slice the onions and heat the butter in a decently sized pan. When your butter is nice and hot, add the onions, some salt and pepper and allow to cook down over medium low heat. This takes a while, but the patience is worth it, trust me! When they look like this, add the brown sugar and allow it to cook longer. They will get all sweet and delicious.










After your onions are nice and caramelized, wash and chop the sorrel, making sure to pick over for bugs. Because it's similar to spinach, I washed it like spinach, allowing it to swim in cold water for a few minutes. Make sure to remove the stems of the large pieces and then chop evenly. I cut the pieces into about 1 inch slices. Add this to the pan of onions and allow to wilt for about a minute. Off the heat and set aside.










Preheat your oven to 375. Oil your pan well since the potatoes have a tendency to stick to the pan and then line the pan and the sides with overlapping potatoes. Dap with goat cheese and then spread the onions and sorrel over the cheese.








Cuisinart CSB-77 Smart Stick Hand Blender with Whisk and Chopper AttachmentsBeat the eggs into a large bowl, add the salt, mustard, cayenne pepper, flour and milk and mix well. Since the flour has a tendency to clump, I used my handy dandy Cuisinart immersion blender
and made quick work of it. If you don't have one of these, get one! I use mine almost every day. Pour over the top of everything. Add salt and pepper. I thought there was enough in the mixture and there wasn't so make sure you add more than called for. Place your quiche in the oven and bake for 40 minutes, until a knife inserted into the filling an inch from the edge comes out clean.


In eating this, I could taste the lemony flavor so many of the sites I looked at had promised. Overall, I'd make this again. Colin, the quiche hater, liked it enough to eat Dylan's portion too. Dylan wasn't toohot on it but he's not super fond of goat cheese so that's to be expected. :)







0 Responses

Post a Comment